New Release!!

Ancestors - Civil War 

My Confederate Ancestors

Diary of Isaac V. Moore                       


The following diary Of Sergeant I. V. Moore of Madison County, Georgia, who served in the Army of the Tennessee, is included to show the wealth of information, which can be obtained from diaries of soldiers during wartime. At the conclusion of his diary we have printed the abstracts of the few surviving muster rolls, which are available on microfilm at the Georgia Department of Archives, Atlanta, Georgia 30334 and printed in their ROSTER OF CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS publication.

As you would suspect, many of the payrolls for most Confederate units are missing. A few have been located in the hands of descendants of the commanders or clerk of these units, but except for copies which were captured by Union troops, and later microfilmed as part of the National Archives WAR OF THE REBELLION RECORDS, researchers find it difficult to prove from military records the presence or absence of an ancestor. In fact, as you will see, many men fell in various battles, whose demise was not noted in the surviving military records.

For this reason, if you should search for details on a Confederate soldier’s military service, and life during the conflict, one prime source of information would be in the diaries, and letters which were compiled by his comrades THE UNITED CONFEDERATE VETERANS organization, which was active in the 1880-1910 years published a magazine filled with such diaries and letters, as well as survivors’ reminiscences. Copies of the UCV magazines are on file at many of the larger libraries, and the Georgia Archives.

“Camps” of the United Confederate Veterans were established in many southern cities and towns, and minutes of their meetings have in some cases survived. The local newspapers generally carried reports of happenings at UCV meetings, encampments, and celebrations of Confederate Memorial Day. Their reunions were times of sharing the joys and hardships of military life under the Stars and Bars.

In Georgia each county established a Confederate Roster Commission in 1901-2 and compiled a roster of known Confederate soldiers who were then, or had been residents of the county. One copy of the roster was retained by the Ordinary of the county, and a second copy was sent to the Confederate Roster Commission of the state of Georgia, later part of the Confederate Pension Commission. The surviving state copies of Rosters are housed in the Georgia Archives, together with Pension Commission records, some counties have preserved their copies of the Confederate Roster books.

Here is the bittersweet history of the Army of the Tennessee.

This unpublished diary of Sergeant Isaac V. Moore is in the possession of Mrs. Jesse Brown, granddaughter of Mr. Moore, of Carlton, Ga. On December 9, 1915 Mrs. J. A. Sayer, daughter of Mr. Moore, and Mrs. Maggie Moon Cheney, granddaughter of I. V. Moore, went over the original Diary with Mr. Moore, who was living at that time. Permission was given to the Historian of Laura Rutherford Chapter, U.D.C., Athens, to make a copy.


When The War Between the State erupted in 1861 and the Confederate States called for volunteers, the three sons of John Nathaniel Moore and Martha Elizabeth Vaughn of Elbert County Georgia answered the call.  William M. and Thomas A. the oldest and youngest of the Moore boys enlisted October 15, 1861 in the Elbert County raised Goshen Blues, Company H of what became the 38th Regiment Georgia Volunteer Infantry. They were joined in this Company by three of their mother’s younger brothers: Jacob David, Alexander and John Henry Vaughn.  The middle son Isaac Vaughn Moore had married and moved to adjoining Madison County.  These families both had come to Northeast Georgia from Virginia where several of their ancestors had served the colonies in the American Revolution. As in the case of many volunteer companies raised in the Southern States these county raised companies contained many brothers, cousins, nephews, uncles, a few fathers and sons and many more related by marriage. Their father’s brother Joel Washington Moore also volunteered later in the war and despite his advanced age, he and his young son William served in the Georgia State Troops, Joel as a cook with Company A 1st Regiment State Troops and William with Co F in the Georgia Cavalry Reserves.

The Moore brothers, all farmers, had married and begun families prior to the war. William had married Keziah H. David of Madison County and had two children, Isaac and his wife Elizabeth J. Simmons also of Madison County were the parents of three children by 1860 and the youngest Thomas had married Martha E. “Betsy” Tucker and was the father of four children by 1860.

In May 1862, the 38th along with the five other regiments (mustering a total of 6,000-7,000 men), were placed under the command of Brig. Gen. Alexander Lawton, who as commander of the Georgia Military District, had proposed formation of an "elite brigade" of Georgia troops to answer Richmond's call for troops to repel the threat posed by McClellan's advance from Williamsburg on the Confederate capital. They were moved by train to Lynchburg and the Shenandoah Valley. They were to reinforce Stonewall Jackson as part of a deception planned by General Robert E. Lee to mask his planned offensive against McClellan's forces around Richmond.  Jacob David Vaughn was not now with the others, having died in Savannah during the assignment of the 38th on coastal duty. The Lawton Brigade received its baptism of fire at the battle of Gaines Mill (June 27, 1862), suffering 492 killed and wounded out of approximately 3,500 soldiers carried into battle.  On July 1st John Henry Vaughn died in Charlottesville. It is not known if he died from disease or from wounds he might have received at Gaines Mill.

On May 9, 1862 Isaac Vaughn Moore, joined his brothers in the Confederate army by enlisting in Co E of the 37th Georgia Volunteer Infantry. Isaac began a journal or diary of his experiences the day he enlisted and recorded many interesting experiences during his three years of continuous service.=

William, Thomas and their uncle Alexander served at 2nd Manassas and Antietam with Thomas being appointed 4th Corporal in October 1862. Thomas was wounded at Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 13, 1862 and hospitalized, he returned to service that spring. 

In mid-spring 1863 William transferred from the 38th to Company F 15th Georgia Infantry, another unit formed in Elbert County and part of General Henry Benning's Brigade. Still together in the Army of Northern Virginia but now in different Corps, William, Thomas and Alexander fought at Gettysburg where Alexander and Thomas were wounded and captured July 5, 1863.  Alexander died at Gettysburg on the 17th of July. The writer believes it is quite possible that Thomas stayed behind with his Uncle, as Thomas had served previously as a hospital Steward according to his muster documents. During the battle at Gettysburg, William’s unit participated in the sucessful assault on Houck's Ridge and the now famous "Devil's Den" on July 2 and on July 3rd covered the withdrawal from that position, sustaining heavy casualties. 

In the late summer of 1863, Benning's Brigade boarded trains and moved south with two Divisions of General James Longstreet’s 1st Corps to reinforce the Army of Tennessee under Gen. Braxton Bragg.  Here, William would have been reunited with Isaac, who had served in the campaigns in and around Cumberland Gap, Tazewell, Southeastern Tennessee and Murfreesboro except for the circumstances outlined below.

During the Battle of Chickamauga, the 15th was part of the assault by Benning's Brigade at the Viniard Farm on September 20th, while the 37th which was part of Bate's Brigade, Stewert's Division, was in heavy action in the late afternoon of Sept. 19, sustaining over 50% casualties including Issac Moore who was wounded but saved from more serious injury when the ball stuck his cap box.  Although the two regiments were within a few hundred yards of each other, Isaac and William probably did not see each other due to Isaac's wounding.   Isaac's diary makes no mention of them seeing each other.

After Chickamauga, the Confederate Army laid siege to Chattanooga. In early November, Longstreet's Corp moved north to attempt to drive Burnsides from Knoxville. 

William's unit was engaged heavily in the fighting at Campbell's Station south of Knoxville but did not participate in the direct assault on Fort Sanders.  After the failed attempt to drive Burnsides from Knoxville and the defeat of Bragg at Chattanooga, Longstreet moved north from Knoxville toward Virginia. On January 22, 1864 during this movement, William was detailed to a foraging party near Dandridge, Tennessee. Here he was captured and sent to Rock Island Prison, an island prison camp in the Mississippi River near Rock Island, Illinois. Resisting the offers of amnesty with enlistment in the U S Army’s Western forces ( an offer four thousand Confederate Prisoners succumbed to ), William remained at Rock Island until he was transferred for exchange in March 1865. The war was over before he could be returned to duty.

In the meantime after a short stay at his home to recuperate, Isaac returned to his unit in late October and served in the remaining campaigns of the Army of Tennessee, Chattanooga through Nashville. After Nashville, the Army moved south under the new commander Joseph E. Johnston. In the next four months, the army marched across the south from Corinth, Mississippi to High Point, N.C. where in the Public Square on April 27th 1865 the Army of Tennessee surrendered and stacked arms.

The Last entry in Isaac V. Moore's diary was  "May 15th 1865 Monday we reached home at 3 o'clock".

Thomas, in the meantime, was paroled at DeCamp General Hospital, David's Island, New York Harbor, September 1863 and received at City Point, Virginia September 16, 1863 for exchange, rejoining the 38th later that year. Thomas was appointed 3rd Corporal in 1864 and served with the Army of Northern Virginia through the bloody campaigns of 1864 and 1865 including “The Wilderness”, Spotsylvania, Monocacy, Winchester, Fisher’s Hill, Cedar Creek and Fort Steadman, surrendering at Appomattox, Virginia, April 9, 1865.

After the war the Moore brothers returned to farming in Northeast Georgia. They all lived to see the 20th Century with Isaac the last to die 12 days past his 88th birthday, November 29, 1918.  

The Ginn Boys of Elbert County Georgia

When troops from the Northern States invaded the South in 1861 and the Confederate States called for volunteers, the eight sons of Isaac Ginn and Martha Burden of Elbert County, were among the thousands of Georgians who answered the call. Although many Georgia brothers joined together and served in the same unit, the Ginn brothers spread their service over five different organizations.  Three of the brothers: James, Singleton and Gaines joined Company H of the 38th Georgia Infantry and served in the Army of Northern Virginia as part of the famed Georgia Brigade. Henry joined the 42nd Georgia Infantry and served in the Army of Tennessee. The other four brothers did not join the armies until the early part of 1863. Tinsley J. and William P. “Pink” joined Co K of the 2nd Regiment Georgia State Line Troops, Thomas the 3rd Georgia Cavalry and the youngest Isaac L.  joined the 24th Battalion Georgia Cavalry, which was later consolidated into the 7th Georgia Cavalry Regiment.

William was the first to marry and by 1860 he and his wife Sarah Rosanne (Simmons) were the parents of five and living in nearby Madison County.  Tinsley J the oldest had married Sarah Maxwell and they were the parents of two. Thomas and his wife the former Mary Allgood had one child. Singleton and Amanda Simmons Ginn ( a sister of his brother William’s wife Sarah ) had three children and Henry and Frances Dobbs Ginn were also the parents of three. James and his wife Julia Nelms Ginn did not have any children at the outbreak of the war and in fact their only child James Jr. was born after his father’s death at Manassas.  Gaines W and Isaac L the youngest boys were living at home in 1860 and were not married until after the war. Gaines marrying Elizabeth J. Nelms and Isaac marrying Mary Catherine Duncan both from Elbert County.

Gaines joined Co H the “Goshen Blues” of the 38th Regiment in mid October 1861 and served with that unit on railroad guard duty near Atlanta until the May of 1863 when the 38th was brigaded with five other Georgia Infantry Regiments under the command of Alexander Lawton and sent north to Virginia.

His brothers James and Singleton joined the Company on June 27, 1862 and were mustered in near Charlottesville Virginia on July 1,1862. Two months to the day after joining, during the 2nd Manassas Campaign, James was killed in battle and Singleton was wounded.

In December Gaines was promoted to Sergeant and on the 13th during the Battle of Fredericksburg, Singleton was wounded once again. This wound was to keep him out of service for almost two years, but by the fall of 1864 he was once again with the ANV and on April 9, 1865 Singleton S. Ginn stacked his arms with approximately a dozen more surviving members of Co H.  Gaines continued to serve through the Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run and Wilderness campaigns until late May 1864 when he was wounded seriously at Spotsylvania. He was retired from service in December 1864. 

On April 5 1862, Henry, who was living in Gwinnett County, joined Co A of what was to become the 42nd
Georgia Infantry. The 42nd was brigaded with five other Georgia Regiments and sent to Tennessee to join General Kirby Smith’s Department of East Tennessee. The 42nd saw action at Cumberland Gap at the convergence of Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky in mid summer and later took part in the invasion of Kentucky and battles around Richmond, KY.

After withdrawing from Kentucky in the fall, the Brigade was ordered to report to General Pemberton’s Army at Vicksburg, where the Brigade now under General Seth Barton distinguished itself at the battles around Chickasaw Bayou and Chickasaw Bluff, with the 42nd being specifically noted for it’s service. In May of 1863 Barton’s Brigade was heavily involved in the battles in the swamps south of Vicksburg. On May 17th 1863 during action at Edward’s Station during the Battle of Champion Hill, Henry was captured. Henry was received at City Point, Virginia and exchanged on July 6, 1863 and never heard from again. Family history says that his sisters had received a letter from him from Vicksburg shortly before these battles and then was never heard from again.

It can only be presumed that he either joined the Army in Virginia and was killed or somehow met foul play on his return to the Army of Tennessee. Henry became one of the many mysteries of the war.

In February of 1863 William and Tinsley both joined Company K, 2nd Regiment of the Georgia State Line troops often known as “Joe Brown’s Pets” because of Governor Joe Brown’s influence on the use of these troops.  The 2nd Georgia spent the first two years performing guard duty on the Western and Atlantic Railroad. In May 1864 they joined Cumming's Brigade; Stevenson's Division; Hood's Corps in the defense of Atlanta and later serving with the Georgia Militia under Gen. G. W. Smith. Battles of note in which the State Line Troops participated were: Kennesaw Mtn, Kolb’s Farm, Peachtree Creek, Battle of Atlanta, Utoy Creek and Jonesboro during the Atlanta Campaign. Later with the Militia they participated in the battles at Griswoldville, Honey Hill, S.C. (where they left Georgia for the only time during their service) and at the Little Ogeechee Railroad Bridge, Northwest of Savannah.  On April 16th they were involved in one of the war’s last battles at Columbus. William and Tinsley surrendered with their regiment at Macon on May 7 1865.

Thomas also joined a Georgia State Unit, the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, in late summer of 1863 serving only a few months due to a serious injury to his right knee suffered when his horse fell on him. This injury was ultimately to result in the amputation of the leg in 1879 and to his death in 1889.

Isaac the youngest of the Ginn brothers joined the 24th Battalion Georgia Cavalry on June 12th 1863 at Camp Lee.  The 24th along with a sister Battalion the 21st Georgia Cavalry served along the Georgia and South Carolina coasts defending that area from invasion.  In February of 1864, these two battalions were consolidated along with the Hartwick Mounted Rifles to form the 7th Georgia Cavalry Regiment and in May became part of the cavalry arm of the Army of Northern Virginia as part of Wade Hampton’s Division. Isaac served with the 7th in its campaigns around Richmond and the Shenandoah Valley including the largest all cavalry battle of the war at Trevilian Station on June 11 & 12 1864. In November 1864 Isaac found himself without a mount and due to the scarcity of cavalry mounts was detailed back to Georgia to find a suitable horse. By this time, Sherman had ravaged Georgia and horses were not to be found. Isaac remained in Georgia until the wars end.

Of the brothers who survived the war, Thomas was the first to die in 1889 of complications from the amputation of his leg. Singleton followed in 1895 and William P. in 1900. Tinsley, Gaines and Isaac all lived into the 20 th Century with Isaac the last to pass in December of 1919.

“Confederate Reminiscences and Letters”



By Gaines W. Ginn


I volunteered in June,1861. Left home in September, 1861 and went into camp six miles from Atlanta and stayed there a while until we formed what they called A. R. Wright’s Legion.

We went to Savannah Ga. in Sept. 1861 and stayed there til June 1862. We went to the Valley of Virginia and went under Jackson. We didn’t stay there but 1 day and night til we marched back to Richmond and went into what they call the seven days fight.

After that I was sick and in the hospital until the 13th of December.

I was in the battle at Fredericksburg and in the battle at Gettysburg. I was detailed to guard the wagon train.

When we went to Virginia we were Lawton’s Brigade, 38th Regiment. Gordon took command of our brigade early in 63. My Regiment was under Gordon then until the surrender.

I was in the battle on the 6th and 7th in the Wilderness, 1864.

On the 12th of May, 1864 I was severly wounded at Spotsylvania Court House, Va. They hit me in the left arm between the elbow and shoulder. The doctor took out 4 inches of the bone in my arm. The same ball went through my left lung and lodged against my backbone and was cut out. I was unable to come home until September, 1864.

So I have been a cripple ever since and still living.


William M. Manes a Confederate soldier was born March 27 1834 in Hawkins County Tennessee to John J. Manes and Mary Dunnick Manes. He married Nancy Elizabeth McMillin, daughter of  George W. McMillin and Nancy Sanders Worthington, January 1 1861.  Their first child, Laura Alice was born October 23 1861.  In September 1862 William enlisted In Company H of the 31st Tennessee Volunteer Infantry CSA.  He was transferred in early 1863 to Company C 61st Mounted Infantry.

In May of 1863, at a railroad bridge over the Big Black River a few miles west of Raymond, Miss., Vaughn's, Green's, and Barton's brigades made a stand in order to guard the rest of Pemberton's army in their retreat to Vicksburg after a defeat at Baker's Creek on the 16th of May.  The 61st, with the 60th and 62nd formed the right flank in front of a bayou.  A Federal division under Gen. Osterhaus slammed into the Tenneseans here, and the brunt of the action fell against the 61st.  The 23rd Iowa, under heavy fire from Vaughn's brigade, charged until they reached the bayou. Then they kneeled and fired their only volley.  Upon firing, the 23rd continued the charge across the bayou and up to the Confederate earthworks. Over half of the 61st surrendered on the spot while the rest ran for the river.  As many as could, swam across and stopped only after having made it to Vicksburg.

Private Manes was among those who reached Vicksburg and was present during the siege of that city being captured with the entire command upon the city's surrender and paroled on July 8th of July 1863.

During the battle for Vicksburg, William received hearing damage in both ears as a result of a bursting shell while serving in support of Confederate artillery along the Mississippi River bank and being under fire from Union gunboats.

After being paroled with the rest of his Regiment on July 8, 1863, William Manes returned to Greene County to await exchange, as was the custom for paroled prisoners of war at this point in the war. He appears on a list of officers and men of the 61st who reported to Parole camp at Jonesboro, Tenn prior to April 1st 1864.

During the winter of 1863 while awaiting exchange, he was detailed by elements of Lt. General James Longstreet's 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia who were camped for the winter in Upper East Tennessee after their tour of duty at Chattanooga and Knoxville, to work in a grist mill owned by a man named Rader.  He was working at the mill when Longstreet's forces moved back to Virginia. The mill was immediately taken over by Union forces and William Manes was forced to continue his work in the mill. He remained a worker at the mill, under the guard of Union forces, until removed from the mill by his wife’s half-brother Captain William Lemons Worthington of the Union Army sometime in early 1865. He stayed with Capt. Worthington in Knoxville until the end of the war. 

William and Nancy Manes went on with their lives after the war and had seven additional children. 

On May 1st  1901, William M. Manes applied for a pension as a Confederate Veteran from the State of Tennessee.  His application was witnessed by his doctor H.P Marshall of Mohawk, Stephan Courtney and Lewis F. Rader, who was the Lieutenant of Co. C  61st Tennessee and most likely a relative of the the Rader who owned the mill.  In his affidavit, Dr. Marshall indicated that William was suffering from considerable deafness and neuralgia of the kidneys, and was able to perform manual labor at only about 25% of normal.  Lt. Rader swore as to his service and capture at Vicksburg.

At that time William Manes indicated that his wife, who he called Eliza and seven of his children were still living. Apparently his fifth child John born in November 1875 had died. He indicated he earned very little and had real property worth $75.00 and was receiving assistance from his children.

Over the next nine and one-half years, Wm, Manes try to no avail to get his get his Pension Application approve.  Many letters and affidavits were written in his behalf, with

no success.  The ultimate reason for the rejection of his application was his inability to rejoin his command after their exchange sometime in the summer of 1864.

After 1911 no further correspondence was noted with regard to the application of William Manes. He died March 13,1913 and is buried in the old Harmon Cemetery near Mohawk, Tennessee. Nancy Elizabeth McMIllin Manes died three years later in 1916 and is buried in the Mt. Hope Cemetery near Mohawk.

Abraham Stine 

Abraham Stine was my Great Grandfather on my Mother’s side of my family.

Abraham Stine was born April 21st 1825, in Sullivan County Tennessee. He was the youngest of seven children born to Lewis and Ann Slagle Stine. Their families, both originally from Germany, were from the York/Lancaster County region of South Central Pennsylvania; however, they had been married and started a family in Winchester County Virginia prior to moving to Sullivan County about 1818.

Abraham enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1862 as part of Capt. Martin M. Morrell’s Company of Sullivan Co. Guards and was detailed in the shops making horse shoes where he was injured by an iron bar which resulted in a bilateral rupture. This injury and his age which was beyond the conscription range resulted in his separation from service.

After the war, he married Martha Elizabeth Hancher, daughter of Rev. William Hancher and Elizabeth Wilson. Martha was born June 28, 1841 and died November 30, 1914. Abe and Martha were the parents of six children.

He died July 28, 1902 in Sullivan Co.


These men were the brothers of my 2nd Great Grandmother Sarah Rosanne Simmons. She was the oldest of the eleven children of David Power Simmons and Hannah Sims Hall.

When war erupted in 1861 between the United States and the newly formed Confederate States, the southern states issued calls for volunteers to protect the new country from invasion. Four of the five sons of David Power Simmons and Hannah Sims Hall of Madison County Georgia answered the call.  William C. and Isaac B. the oldest of the Simmons boys enlisted July 11, 1861 in the Madison County raised Madison County Greys, Company A of what became the 16th Regiment Georgia Volunteer Infantry Army of Northern Virginia. They were joined in this Company by one of their father’s younger brothers Turner Simmons and by their future brother-in-law Jeremiah W. Hall.  Eight months later, the two younger brothers David T. and Wiley J. enlisted in Co B 9th Battalion Georgia Volunteer Infantry later consolidated into Co E of the 37th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment of the Army of Tennessee. Another Uncle Bennett Simmons later joined and served with the 3rd Georgia Cavalry of the Georgia State Line Troops. The youngest brother Walton G. Simmons may have served as well but that cannot be determined for certain.  A W. G. Simmons served with the 27th Georgia infantry and a Walton G. served briefly with the 17th. It is unsure whether either one of these was a son of David and Hannah.

The war quickly claimed its first Simmons as Turner died of disease in Goldsboro N. C. in April of 1862, while the regiment was briefly assigned to the Department of North Carolina. Shortly after that the 16th was transferred to Virginia and brigaded with the 24th Georgia, the 18th Georgia, Cobb’s Legion and Phillip’s Legion under General T.R.R. Cobb and later General William T. Wofford. The 16th served in many of the major battles in the Virginia theatre as well as with General James Longstreet’s army at Chickamauga and in the East Tennessee Campaign.

The move south with Longstreet’s troops most likely afforded the Simmons brothers the first opportunity to see each other since they had left home for service in two different theatres of the war. The 16th, part of Wofford’s Brigade in the two Divisions Longstreet brought South was not engaged in the Battle of Chickamauga; however, the close proximity of the armies as they surrounded Chattanooga surely afforded an opportunity for the brother’s to visit.

Early in November Longstreet’s forces began the move on Knoxville to drive Burnsides from his control of central East Tennessee. During the final stages of the siege of Knoxville, Wofford’s Brigade was chosen as one of the two lead brigades in the frontal assault on Fort Loudoun (Later name Sanders for the Union General killed in the battles around Knoxville). This assault claimed the second Simmons casualty of the war when Isaac was killed November 29 1863 in the assault.

William’s war journey was to lead him through the remainder of the campaigns in Virginia including The Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Deep Bottom and Cold Harbor. Later the unit was part of Early’s operations in the Shenandoah Valley and the Appomattox Campaign. The 16th lost many at Sayler’s Creek just before Appomattox and surrendered 2 officers and 51 men including William C. Simmons.

Meanwhile in the South, Wiley and David continued to serve with the Army of Tennessee in the 37th Infantry Regiment which had been organized during the spring of 1863 by consolidating the 3rd and 9th Georgia Infantry Battalions. They fought during the battles at Chattanooga and as the army slowly retreated toward Atlanta and during the campaign for Atlanta. After the fall of Atlanta and the replacement of Joseph Johnson with John B. Hood, the Army of Tennessee moved around Atlanta and north through Eastern Georgia and Western Alabama to Middle Tennessee. During the Middle Tennessee campaign, Wiley was wounded in the foot at Franklin, Tenn. on the 30th of November 1864, and captured there Dec. 17, 1864.  He was released at Point Lookout, Md. June 5, 1865.  He was admitted to U.S.A. Post Hospital at Savannah on June 22, 1865 because of the amputation of his right foot stemming from the wound at Franklin.  Discharged July 8, 1865, he later returned home to teach school in Madison County, Georgia. Wiley died January 8, 1910 in the Confederate Soldiers Home in Atlanta.

David continued to serve the beaten and battered Army of Tennessee as it withdrew into Mississippi and finally across Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and into North Carolina.

After briefly moved to Danville, Va. as protection for Jefferson Davis and the Confederate Cabinet after they had removed from Richmond the remnants of the 37th Georgia returned to North Carolina where on April 26, 1865 they surrendered at High Point.

William and David both returned to Madison County, Georgia, married and raised families. They both lived into the Twentieth Century with David being the last to die, July 11, 1927.

Submitted by Ron Jones GG Grand Nephew of the Simmons brothers of Madison Co.